Welcome to Banker’s Pitch – A site dedicated to helping you get into, survive and then exit Investment Banking.
My name is Gary and I’m an ex-Investment Banker who loves writing and blogging about my experience in Investment Banking
What is Banker’s Pitch all about?
When I started Banker’s Pitch I wanted to create a space where people who are interested in Investment Banking could learn more about the industry. Many of the other sites that I have seen (and used when I was a student) are really focussed on how to get into the industry. This focus is absolutely understandable…Investment Banking is incredibly hard to break into.
However what many of them don’t deal with is the other stuff (which I think is just as important). Questions like how do you survive banking when you are already working in it? How do you know when you should exit and where can and should you go once you decide to leave?
I hope to provide a full suite of information on Banker’s Pitch. I want to provide a view of Investment Banking that is (hopefully) as unbiased as possible. On this site you will see the good and the bad and my aim is to help you making better and more informed decisions about your career in banking.
When I worked in Investment Banking there were some things that I did right and in hindsight I also made plenty of mistakes. I hope to be a resource for all those looking to ‘make it’ in the Investment Banking as well for those who just wish to use it as a stepping stone to other careers.
Subscribe to Banker’s Pitch
Please stay in touch with Banker’s Pitch by subscribing to email updates. I try and include something different and unique for email subscribers that I don’t put on the blog. Also feel free to connect with me on Twitter, Facebook (still to come) and Google+ (still to come) if you’re active on those networks.
The best way to get in contact with me is to write a post on a relevant blog post and I’ll try and answer your question. Alternatively you can use the form on the contact page (although due to the number of emails it may take me a little while to get back to you).
A little about me
A lot of the articles I write on this site are things I have seen from my own personal experience. As such you may want to know a little bit about me so here is a bit about my Investment Banking journey:
- I went to a top tier university in the country where I live and managed to get good (although not spectacular) marks in my degree
- Investment Banking became my focus because ‘I liked finance’ and ‘they paid a hell of a lot’ (not the best reasons to enter any job) however my early attempts to land Investment Banking internships failed miserably
- I did an internship in an unrelated field which I leveraged into an internship at a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank the following year
- I managed to land the job offer at the end of the internship and started as a graduate at the same bank the following year
- I worked in Investment Banking for 3 years as an analyst and was very heavily involved in recruiting
- After 3 years I decided that banking was not for me and I left for another role in finance
There are things that I did right (by accident) and there are a lot of things that I should have thought about or done differently. Hopefully you can learn from my experiences as you carve out your own path.